Saturday, March 30, 2013

Starting Engine... and a stroll


Friday was Good Friday, so I had the day off.  Pam and I decided to have a day out driving somewhere and spending time together.  Where better to go than a kart shop!
I had decided to order Hoosier tires from John Copeland at Fox Valley Kart in Lafayette.  The tires were going to arrive this week at his shop and be shipped to me.  BUT... with a lovely day.  So we headed across country to Lafayette.  Of course, we stopped at a couple antique stores on the way.

John was very busy with people connected with Purdue's Grand Prix, but I bought the two tires the size I needed and spend a few moments talking with him. He showed me his lay down kart and his latest vintage project.  He was one of the first karters I met at Putnam Park in 2010 when I started this journey.  He has given me some great advise and has a wonderful kart shop. I just wish it wasn't two hours away.
John in 2010 at Putnam Park
I chose Hoosier tires for obvious and not-so-obvious reasons.  Of course, they are an Indiana product, but are very kart friendly and want to grow in this sector.  The big kart tire companies like Dunlop and Bridgestone have had supply problems.  

I also have decided to use the original wheels instead of getting new, modern ones.  It will be more keeping with the vintage look and experience.  The old Goodyear Blue Streak tires are 11/4.5 - 5 which means they are 11" diameter, 5" tread, and 4.5 diameter of wheel.  John suggested using 4.5/10.0-5, but they are only 10" in diameter... Meaning my rear is 1" closer to the ground than Dad's!

The new Hoosier tire... very soft!  R60A compound
inner tubes... a must have for two-piece wheels

So Saturday was the appointed day to try the engine again.  I anticipated taking a ride around the circle, but I needed to air up all the tires and add a new inner tube to one of the vintage tires.  I have already described the process, but here is a photo in the mids of it.  The drill makes it go so much quicker.
 

As I was working with the engine temperature thermocouple, a wrench slipped and pulled back my finger nail.  Yes... OUCH!!
So I called Official Starter Pam down and took a crack at it.  A lot of time has been devoted to getting the engine prepared.  Nearly a full rebuild, but I learned a lot about it.  Here is a video of the experience:




It RUNS!!  No air leak causing high revving.  No clogged pulse holes causing high revving.  Just good old kart sounds.

There is one problem I need to look at... the clutch.  I had the kart on the stand to allow the wheels to turn and give the engine something to pull against. But after I shut it down, the clutch was smoking and suuupppperrrr HOT!  Maybe some was the gas spilled on it, but it was sizzling!  I think I saw tiny, tiny bubble of clutch oil bubbling out... it smoked for 5 minutes.  

The clutch engages at higher RPMs after slipping at lower.  But the arms are still in contact with the drum during that time.  Once enough RPMs are achieved, the arms apply enough pressure due to centrifugal forces.  Each arm has a bolt holding a number of small washers.  Add more washers to have less slip (engage at lower RPM) and take some away for more slip (engage at higher RPMs).  Dad talked about these clutches engaging at higher RPMs to get batter torque to get moving.  So I will be looking into any changes.  This was a test with lots of WAP WAP WAP.... alternating high and low RPM.. instead of constant high revs, thus constantly being engaged.
just a fun photo.  



There is also some paperwork to be done before the racing begins.  To run at WKA events I need to be a member.  So that will go out soon.  I get magazines, and even a card for my wallet!
 
The pre-entry blanks are out for the May Grattan Nationals!  I have that filled out and ready to go.  I will be in a Dart Kart Club local option class: Vintage USA.  Basically, that is a vintage kart with an American made engine.. most will be McCulloch.  My Saturday race is Race 6 - the last of the day.  So I will have Friday for practice, then morning practice, and the big wait until late afternoon.  OH, yea.. that is a day at the races.  However, the race on Sunday is first, so I will be all done around noon.  


I have also been working on something else this week as I waited to start the kart.  Since I have never been in a enduro kart as an adult.. OR ever been to Grattan, I am creating a 3D model of the track to be used with the Red Devil Kart I created for the racing simulator rFactor.  Hopefully, this will help me get to know the track.  It won't have all the bells and whistles of the IRP, so its pretty quick and dirty.  
This is a Google Maps print-out with notes on walls, elevation, and points of interest like trees
This is the track in Bob's Track Builder, software dedicated to creating tracks.  

This is my set-up in my office
 Speaking of my office.... it is all finished.  It has taken a about a year and a half to think through everything, purchase furniture, paint, and build shelves.  But I think it turned out pretty well.  I love the 'hanging' book shelves and desk.  The desk is an antique door, with hinges, that I got for $20!

 


The antique dentist cabinet has some of Dad's car collection on display.  During May, they all go on display as we celebrate the Indy 500.  Pam and I will be watching LIVE... from a very special location.










No comments:

Post a Comment