Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pressure Test

Yesterday I pressure tested the engine.   The test consists of attaching a couple of specially built pieces to the engine.  One is a thick aluminum plate that goes over the exhaust manifold and has a stem to add air, like on a car or bike tire, except it is stainless steel.  The other is another aluminum plate which attaches where the carb goes and has a pressure gauge attached.  I created seals from a sacrificial bike inner tube.

I got everything tight and put in a few pounds of pressure, not knowing what to expect.   The pressure needle went to 25lbs then fell to 13 in a few seconds.  Then down rapidly from there with a low, slow, whooooshing, sound.  I applied some soapy water to the pressure test seals.... Nope.  I had to pump in air several times until I found the culprit...behind the flywheel.  After removing the flywheel, adding pressure, and moving my ear down to the crank, the sound was as plain as a mare passing gas (thanks for that visual, Randy). It was the crank seal!



Oh, FUI! (that's Latin, you know).  I chuckled a bit and got choked up because I heard and saw Dad crunching his face up, wincing, almost in pain, saying softly, "Dammit, dammit, dammit. Todd, we should have changed those."

But all is not lost.  I conferred with Sonny and Rick Chapman and they kindly pointed me in the right direction. 

What does this mean?  I get to tear the engine down, again, and replace the seals.  I see it as a good practice.  Plus, I will take a look at the lateral play in the crankshaft.

No comments:

Post a Comment