Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rebuild

Due to the huge pressure leak the engine had to be torn down. I thought it would be fun to record the process.  Below are links to two time-lapse videos of the process. One frame was taken every second then compiled into movies running at 24 frames per second. 

There was one major hang-up.  I made a huge mistake.  


I had noticed the crank had a little lateral movement.  After investigating it, I found the ball-bearing was floating in its housing.  I had read on the kart forums that Loc-tite would hold it.  Soooo.......


I put some Loc-tite on the housing, getting the drips to go all the way around.  Then put in the crank and ball-bearing, then started putting in the bolts holding on the crankcase cover.... with the cover facing up with bearing below.


After a few minutes of tightening, I turned the crankshaft.  NOPE!  IT WOULD NOT TURN.  


When I turned the crankcase cover over, gravity pulled the Loc-tite INTO THE BALL-BEARINGS.
I had a pretty good freak for several minutes.



It took some time, some heat, some "blaster" solvent, some big ol' wrenches, and some patience... but the bearing was singing again before the rebuild.  Hopefully, it will be OK.  We will see when it finally gets running.


Here are the links to the videos on YouTube: 


Tear-down


Rebuild




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment